Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Girl With The Blackened Eye

I have been enjoying reading all of the fiction stories in class and discussing them with classmates in small groups. Although I have been keeping on all of the readings for fiction stories, I still always find myself coming back to read The Girl With The Blackened Eye when I need ideas about where to go in my stories when writing. I believe the reason being is because of the fact that the character was so unpredictable my first time reading it and I believe that's how a fiction story should be. The reader shouldn't be able to predict what your character will do or say next. The reason why I say she is so unpredictable is because of many different passages in the reading. For example, with a predictable character in her place she would have tried to escape or something of that sort. Where as with this character, she described the torture that the man was doing to her as love. Stuff like this is what keeps the reader intrigued in the story, if they were able to predict everything she would have did or said they would have not wanted to continue reading the story because they figured they knew the ending just by reading they beginning.


I don't want to have that kind of story... I want to keep my reader reading. Which is why I always go back and read The Girl With The Blackened Eye when I am trying to figure out my characters next move. I always remember the reading that said make your character not your plot. The character will make the plot for you, and its hard to stick to that when writing because you want to make sure that your story has a great plot. I feel as though you have to keep it even, you have to consider the character and the kind of plot you are going for. I feel as though The Girl With The Blackened Eye was going towards more of an intense plot, like a LifeTime movie. So far I believe my story is going in the direction I would like for it to go in, thanks to all of the different fiction stories I have been reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment